26 Mar Working With Recruiters: Job Seeker Tips
By: Emily Davis-VanKooten and Kristen Tripp, National IT Recruiters at Quantix
Working with a recruiter throughout your job search can be incredibly beneficial. However, if you’ve never worked with a recruiter before or are unsure of how to handle the situation, the experience can be frustrating. Keeping these 10 tips in mind the next time you have a discussion with a recruiter may help ease the process and increase your chances of landing your dream job.
1) Send recruiters your updated resume even if you are not actively looking for a new position. You never know when a great opportunity will come up and this keeps your name and skills at the front of the recruiter’s mind.
2) Tailor your resume for the position you are interested in and applying for.
3) If you are actively in the job market, try to be responsive to your recruiter’s calls and emails.
4) Research the company you are interviewing with and come up with relevant questions for the manager.
5) Be flexible with your availability for interviews with managers.
6) Be honest, yet confident on your skill level. Don’t over or undersell yourself.
7) Keep track of where you have submitted your resume to avoid double submission.
8) Be open to constructive criticism with your resume, as the recruiter has firsthand knowledge of what managers are typically looking for.
9) Be upfront about what your salary expectations are on the front end. Once the interview process has started, it is difficult to go back and negotiate.
10) Have industry awareness on salary expectation for the position you are seeking.